problem during fedora core 3 installation

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Fri May 13 21:32:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 06:35:34PM -0000, aniruddha  biswas wrote:

> Dear members
> I encountered the following problem when trying to install fedora core 3 in my PC.
> After the keyboard selection menu a series of bugs appeared
> such as
> 1.Assertion(sectors<=63) at disk_dos.c:490 in function probe_partition for geom() failed
> 2.Assertion ((c*heads+h)*sectors +s==a) at disk_dos.c:494 in function probe_partition for geom() failed
> and some more bugs
>
> I am a new user so I donot have any knowledge of how to sovle this problem
> The configuration of my PC is
> Intel Pentium III (1.13Ghz)
> 256 mb RAM
> 80 Gb Samsung hard drive (SP 0802N)
>
> I have Windows 98 and XP running in my PC
> Previously Red Hat 9.0 used to work fine when I had a 40 Gb hard drive
>
> Kindly try to solve my problem
>
> Yours sincerely
> Aniruddha BIswas

I've not seen this problem.  What kind of partitions are on this
drive?  If in doubt, boot your install disk in rescue mode (put "linux
rescue" at the boot: prompt), and then run

  fdisk -l

and report the result.

Is the whole drive allocated for Windoze?  If so, you will need to
shrink one or more of the partitions to provide space for Linux.

See also The Fine Manual (outdated, but still mostly applicable):

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/

and the FAQ

http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God is more interested in our availability than our ability.