*NIX Firewall

Vincent Jordan vjordan at penncom.net
Tue May 17 15:52:05 UTC 2005

I have been given the task of configuring / installing a firewall for my
company. It has been a while since I've played in this realm so i hope to
get a little info about this.

Generally its for to provide a firewall, allow VPN connection to our win
server, accept ftp files scan file for virus and push to another system on
local lan, get mail process spam and check for viruses, act as a gateway to
internet with configurable rule sets as to which users can access the
internet and what sites they can view.

I was thinking this may get me started, of course any input would be greatly
appreciated, If I left anything out or there is a better solution please let
me know.

Firewall                         / Ipchains-iptables

Intrusion Detection         / snort, portsentry?(where did portsentry go)

VPN                             / pppd, pptp, ipsec

MTA                             / postfix, fetchmail

FTP                              / vsftp

Anti-spam                     / spam assassin

Internet Proxy                / squid