failed to install rpm packages by Package Management with ISO file.

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 18 16:39:22 UTC 2005

Tom wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I have a problem when i install rpm packages in xwindow.
>
>     I want to install some other rpm packages contained in Red Hat
> Enterprise AS3 install media, after I installed OS.
>
>     For some reasons I have to use ISO files of Red Hat Enterprise AS3.
> The steps are as follows:
>     1. I suceessfully created ISO files with mkisofs command.
>     2. mount /tmp/Disk4.iso /mnt/cdrom
>     3. I can change directory into /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/ and list rpm
> files. I can install these rpm files with rpm -ivh filename.rpm command.
>     4. But when I logged into xwindow, and start Package Management
> application. I mounted the right iso file and chose some uninstalled
> packages to update. There popped a error meassage: Unable to access
> disk. I checked the /mnt/cdrom and the mounted file. It's ok! And I can
> install the rpm package by double clicking the rpm files in Konqueror of
> xwindow.
>

>     I cannot figure out why I failed to install rpm packages by Package
> Management with ISO Install File. Any suggestion will be helpful.

First off, NEVER reply to a message and change the subject.  If you're
starting a new discussion, post a NEW message.  What you did is called
thread hijacking and it screws up message threading and the archives.

Does /mnt/cdrom (after doing the mount) have permissions that allow the
user running the package manager access to the images?  Try opening a
terminal window, click in it and become root via the "su -" command,
then run "redhat-package-manager" as the root user and see if that
works.  If so, then you have a permissions issue.
-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -