ypserv, groups and ndbm

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 18 20:15:27 UTC 2005

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> [...]

Edit /var/yp/Makefile and change the "DBLOAD=" assignment to include
that option, then make the databases as normal.

> For all intensive purposes the clients should have no problem reading
> them?  Or do the clients also use the ndbm database to read the files
> in?

I think you mean "intents and purposes".  ;-)  Anyway, the clients talk
to the server (ypserv) and the server pulls the stuff out of ndbm, so
that's where ndbm gets involved.

> LDAP is an option... and I will begin looking at converting NIS to LDAP.
> But I will hopefully be out of this pit of a place and group and working
> somewhere better before the opportunity to convert would arise.

As I said, I don't know if the makedbm option will do the trick.  I've
never had so many netgroups that the 1024 limit slapped me.  This just
looks like a place to start.

-      Cuteness can be overcome through sufficient bastardry         -
-                                         --Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes   -