OT Network Storage

Vincent Jordan vjordan at penncom.net
Thu May 19 01:34:27 UTC 2005

This is a bit off topic however someone here probably had run into this
before. Where I work we receive tests in data format via ftp and flash
memory chips that are mailed.

The raw data is zipped, when we get it our techs interpret the data and
create a report. Now we have the original zipped file +-50mb, The processed
file +-85mb and a report at about 5 meg. Until recently we have just moved
the finished files compressed on a "tank" machine in the office. We have
filled 4 80gig drives. More and more tests are coming in now and im running
out of room to put stuff. I was thinking of a Network Area Storage device
but then I got to thinking we are eventually going to fill it up too and
backing up all this may prove to be quite a task. So now im guessing I
should look towards a library / archival setup.

Here is where things may get complicated. I can't just on a whim archive
stuff. The data is for cardiac testing patients, we are required to keep all
the files for at least 7-10 years. My technicians will need to go back 4-5
months at any time to get the information if requested by insurance or the
ordering doctor. We were quite small, performing maybe 4-5 tests a week, my
boss bought out another company and we are now processing 75+ tests a week.
Anyone have any idea of a ready-made solution? I've goggled for NAS and it
does not seem to be a viable long term solution.

Thank in advance,

Vinny