post-NFS install problems

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue May 24 17:05:16 UTC 2005

moey tony wrote:
> hi,
>
> i tried "redhat-config-packages --isodir=/mnt/mymountednfs"
> but it just crashed.
>
> Sorry, I forgot to state that it wasn't installed with iso images shared on the NFS server.
> I actually copied all the contents from each of the three CD's of RH9 to the NFS folder.

You have to copy the .iso files to the NFS volume, NOT the deconvolved
files.  In other words, you should have three "xxxxx.iso" files in the
NFS directory.

If you don't have the .iso files, you can use the "dd" command to create
them.  Put a CD in a drive (DON'T mount it--you just want the raw
device), then:

	# cd /shared/directory/on/nfs/server
	# dd if=/dev/cdrom of=shrike-i386-discX.iso

where "X" is the disc number (1-3).
-  BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -