Wine on rh 8.0

Francisco Ruiz fruiz at tsitrucks.com
Tue May 24 18:56:08 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Rick
Stevens
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 1:28 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: Wine on rh 8.0

Francisco Ruiz wrote:
> I have installed wine on a HR 8.0. I have a gui program that does not
> write anything to the registry. This program works fine under
> win95,98,2k and xp.  It accesses data on a shared folder on a sco box
> running Visionfs.   The shared folder has rwx for everyone
authenticated
> and its not browsable from the windows nethood. In a configuration
> file of the program there is an entry that lets the program know where
> look for the data files.   I have mounted the folder with a user that
> has all these rights and it is properly authenticated.  I then
> configured a wine drive with the path to this mounted share.  Also
> configured the software to look on the wine configured drive for the
> data, no luck.  I have also tried configuring the software running on
> wine to look on \\machine\share, no luck either. If anyone can make
> any sense out this will you advice?

Not all applications will run under wine (a lot of them won't).  Also,
some windows software will not allow you to use shares (IIS, for
example, won't write log files to a network share).  That may not be
your issue.

You didn't mention who the wine process is running as.  Does the wine
user have access to the network share?  That's important.
-     Is that a buffer overflow or are you just happy to see me?     -

The wine process is running under the same user that was used to
authenticate when root mounted the share, the user used has full access
rights.  I understand that most software will not work, but I moved the
data files to the same folder the program resides in and then configure
the program to look in its folder for the data files the Ap. will work
correctly.  I have also mounted the share in wine-c folder as tsiefleet
and configured the Ap to look for the data files in c:\\tsiefleet with
no luck.

I have mentioned that the share form the sco box is configured to not be
browsable from the windows nethood, but when I map a drive from a
windows machine I am able to open that share and list all its contents.
How is this different from mounting the same share on Linux?

redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com