Can't build drivers under RH EL 4.0

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri May 27 16:50:06 UTC 2005

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> Well.. they changed the way the kernel is built.  Drastically so.
>
> How do I go about running such things as an make mrproper now?
>
> /usr/src/linux- is gone... in it's place appears to be /usr/src/kernels/2.6.<yourversion>/

You need to install the kernel source RPM, and yes, it shows up in
/usr/src/kernels/2.6-so and so.  Once you have that, you can "make
mrproper"

> Unfortunately, I can't run a make from there.  To top it off... I can't seem to find the "new" build process documented anywhere. :annoyed:

It's very much the same.  Building 2.6 kernels is a little easier than
2.4 kernels.  You don't need the "make dep;make clean" steps for 2.6 as
you did for 2.4.  A simple "make [x|menu]config;make install" does it.

If you want to build modules, then "make modules" will build the bzImage
and modules.  If you intend to use the old config file, then

	cd /usr/src/kernels/2.6-whatever
	(edit Makefile for the correct version number)
	cp /boot/config-whatever .config
	make oldconfig
	make install

If you're building outside the source tree, then you'll need to install
the kernel source RPM, copy over the config file from /boot and do the
"make oldconfig" to configure the kernel.  You should then be able to
build your module.

> My goal here is to build some bcm5700 and bonding network drivers.

It should come with bcm5700 drivers (well, the tg3 version) and bonding.
You shouldn't have to build anything.  Check the
"/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net" directory and look for
tg3.ko and bonding/bond.ko.
- Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3--not even for large values of 2. -