how to host multiple sites on apachee

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue May 31 21:14:44 UTC 2005

karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>>thanks brandms , i will see in these .conf files and dig docs and mauals
>>at apachee website .
>

> I host multiple sites via a single IP address and instead of 192.168.1.1 i
> put a '*' in the config files. I learned this stuff by searching GOOGLE
> for APACHE HOWTO and then clicked on things until I found a site that I
> could easilly understand.

More specifically, you must have a "NameVirtualHost *" line in
httpd.conf to enable named virtual hosts.  Then you can have multiple

	<VirtualHost *>
	    ServerName www.domain.tld
	    DocumentRoot /x/y
	</VirtualHost>

entries.  Apache will match the host header from the HTTP request
against the various "ServerName" or "ServerAlias" entries and redirect
to the "DocumentRoot" associated with the one that matches.

>>thanks n rgds
>>
>>ajay

-           Blech!  ACKth!  Ooop!  -- Bill the Cat (Outland)         -