Eratic Cursor Behavior

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Thu Nov 10 06:12:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, November 9, 2005 2:30 pm, Harold Hallikainen said:

> [...]
>>> from before my eyes and appear in a corner of the screen. Not having
>>> the
>>> best of eyes, sometimes it takes a moment longer than is comfortable to
>>> locate the cursor so I can get back to entertaining myself...
>>>
>>> What types of things should/could I look for? Could it be a poor, or
>>> mismatched driver in XF86Config?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Karl Pearson
>>> Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
>>> http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
>>> ---
>>>

>> I've seen this before as well.  I'm not entirely sure what causes it,
>> but
>> I've seen it both on Linux (several distros) and Windows (several
>> versions).  The only commonality I can seem to find is that everytime it
>> happens to me I'm using an optical mouse.  Bad driver?  Spurious signal
>> from the optical device itself?  I haven't a clue, and I feel your pain.
>> Working late at night or at the end of a long day is not the time for
>> mouse pointers to be pulling practical jokes ;)
>>
>> -Mike

I haven't seen it in windows. I don't use it enough. I fire up Win2000 in
VMWare about once a day or so to sync my Tungsten T5 (can't get it to work
in Linux consistently). It's not been up long enough to see what happens.

> Running FC4-64 on my new HP laptop, the touchpad has a tendency to decide
> I've clicked something. It mostly tends to run Firefox back several pages.
> What config file do I modify to disable this "feature?"

I've bought several laptops for sales folks in the company I work for and
have noticed that they now have a very annoying 'feature' on the touchpad:
the bottom and right edges are used for 'special' functions, like double
clicking, click and hold, etc. If you think the strange behavior is
happening when using the touch pad in an area other than those 'special'
areas, then I don't know.

I'm thinking of a problem I had when using a laptop with a touchpad. I
found the thing doing strange things and figured out it was a brush with a
finger or sleeve while I was typing that caused the problem.

Just a couple thoughts.

Karl

> THANKS!
>
> Harold
>

> --
> FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---