Upgrading to RHEL 4

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Nov 21 19:32:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 19:20 +0000, jlopes151 at comcast.net wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 03:07 +0000, jlopes151 at comcast.net wrote:
> > > Ok so I have downloaded the *.iso files now what? I don't yet know enough
> > about Linx to use these files. Can anyone help?
> >
> > You can burn the files to CDs and install from there.  That's probably
> > the easiest way.
> >
> > Are you currently running Linux?  If so, what version?  Can you post
> > the output of the "dmesg" command?
> >

> I ran the dmesg command the output is in the attached file. I tried to burn a cd using the cdrecord command.
> Found the cdrom dev values with -scanbus option. I have two cds drives on this machine one wouldn't mount the other appears to work. The command executes and runs with a number of messages but when I acces the cd nothing is there.
>
> Here's the command
> mkisofs -R -o /vzr/tmp/myhome.cd /home/myhome
> cdrecord -scanbus (see attached fiel scanbus.txt)
> cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=0,0,0 -data /var/tmp/myhome.cd

Yes, that's right.  The LiteON is a DVD-RW (I have one too).  The other
device appears to be a simple DVD reader:

	hdc: attached ide-cdrom driver.
	hdc: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, UDMA(33)

Now, as far as burning the .iso images you downloaded, the command you
want to use is:

	cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 /path/to/iso/file

Repeat that for each .iso you downloaded.  When you're done, you should
be able to take the CD you burned for the first .iso file and boot right
off it.

-           What is a "free" gift?  Aren't all gifts free?           -