"RAMDISK: couldn't find a valid ramdisk image starting at 0" and FC4 installation

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Nov 28 21:54:56 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 22:39 +0200, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> Mark Ryden wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >   Maybe you are right; I will try it next time I install FC4 on this machine.
> >
> >   However,it does not explain why after inserting some gibrish, and then after
> > it displays the errror messafe  running "enter" again, it did succeed.
> > Any speculation why ?
>
> No, i can't thing of anything that would even sound reasonable about that .
>
> If your assumption about that the sata disk was not
> > available, then enetring gibrish + enter afterwards should also fail !
> > and the fact is, that after  enetring gibrish + enter it did succeed !
>
> Well i can't explain that either .
>
> and  I now have FC4 running on the that machine .

This is a known problem with the kernel on FC4's distribution.  It has
to do with memory management and the grub command line parsing.  Adding
"gibberish" to the end of the command gets around the parsing issue.  I
believe it's fixed in the grub and kernel updates.  In other words, use
the gibberish to install, then update immediately.

-            We look for things.  Things that make us go!            -