RedHat enterpirse edititon for education community

Mark J Strawcutter mjstraw at iup.edu
Tue Nov 29 15:21:48 UTC 2005

> Our school has a 30 subscription to Rehat Linux ES to see if we
> want to purchase it.  The software has been activated.  The
> problem is everytime I try to install the server software, after the
> last disk is installed and after the reboot.  It comes up with bizzare
> color schemes in sections.  I've tested each disk to make sure they
> pass.  I know that it is detecting the proper hardware onboard.
>
> Can anyone give me any advice.  What may I be doing wrong?

Does it look blocky/pixelated with each block a different color?

Does it only do it when you boot up in Xwindows mode or startX
from a character logon?

We had a similar problem with RHEL4 but only after running up2date
and updating the kernel.  One person here corrected by twiddling with
the X config files.  But it turned out Dell also had an updated video
driver (they were Dell 2850 machines) that solved the problem, too.

If this sounds similar to what you're seeing, check with your hardware
vendor(s) to see if they have a new/current video driver available.

Mark