Net connection Problem

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Wed Nov 30 01:12:56 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Bob McClure Jr wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 09:10:13PM -0700, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> >
> > OK, now I've got some questions - one reason for putting
> > fetchmail on a different machine was it's always on so there is
> > less chance of mail building up on the internet.  The other
> > reason was so I could use multiple computers to read my email.
> > Checking out my new /var/spool/mail directory I see my mail
> > account grow when fetchmail goes out to get mail then it goes to
> > zero when Pine goes and picks it up.  i have a feeling it's
> > moving it to my local machine
>
> That is correct.
>
> > and this is going to mean I will
> > not have access to my mail from other comptuers (like my
> > notebook).  So, how do I set things up to allow that?
>
> Have your local email client use IMAP instead of POP3.

OK, I've looked in the PINE setup and I don't see where I've
selected POP3 over IMAP or how to change it to IMAP.

> > One other thing, I'm looking at my new /var/spool/mail directory
> > and there is a new directory out there called "BOGUS.brad.FXsN"
> > what the heck is that?
>
> Short answer:
>
> It was a mailbox probably not owned by brad.
>
> Long answer, thanks to
>
> http://www.freebsdhowtos.com/42.html
>
> Problem - from procmail(1) doc:
> -----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------
>        If /var/mail/$LOGNAME is a bogus mailbox  (i.e.  does  not
>        belong to the recipient, is unwritable, is a symbolic link
>        or is a hard link), procmail will upon startup try to  re-
>        name  it  into  a file starting with `BOGUS.$LOGNAME.' and
>        ending in an inode-sequence-code.  If this turns out to be
>        impossible,  ORGMAIL will have no initial value, and hence
>        will inhibit delivery without a proper rcfile.
> -----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------

More research is due here (from me) as I have NO idea what this
means......  As far as I know I'm using Sendmail and Fetchmail to
send and receive mail...

> > Thanks
> >
> > Brad
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
> robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
> Peace at any price is inflationary.

Thanks Bob, your always a great help.

Brad