Question about /tmp on OLD RH

John Reynolds jreyn at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 3 18:00:51 UTC 2005

Hail, collective mind.

We have a system running RedHat 7.2 (yes, you shake the case and stone
arrowheads fall out).  A user wants /tmp increased; it's current part of
the root partition.  You can't increase / without reconfiguring the
system, which I am not about to do if it can be avoided.  It would be an
easy fix if /tmp could use swap space.  I haven't been able to find out if
this is possible or no.  Since the system is about 500 miles away, I can't
experiment; any change I make has to *work*.

Does RH7.2 support tmpfs?  What would the fstab entry look like?  Is there
an option I'm overlooking to solve the original problem of increasing
/tmp?

Thanks.

John Reynolds
IBM-by-the-Bay