CUPS admin for users

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Mon Oct 3 18:25:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, October 3, 2005 11:40 am, Rick Stevens said:
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 20:31 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:

>> > What I should have done...

>> > Pretty much what I did do. ;-)
>>
>> Since I don't drink, let me be a bit more pragmatic. I would recommend
>> getting used to the following command:
>>
>> service servicename [stop|start|restart|status]
>>
>> where in your situation, would appear as
>>
>> service cupsd restart
>>
>> though I prefer to do a service srvname stop, then service srvname start
>> with a bit of time between. I think that's because I'm used to working
>> on
>> heavily loaded systems where the services which have to read large
>> config
>> files need time to 'breath' between stops and starts else sometimes they
>> don't start up right. I'm probably just paranoid however, so that might
>> not be necessary.
>
> Remember, Karl, that "service whatever restart" is EXACTLY THE SAME as
> "/etc/rc.d/init.d/whatever restart".  The first invokes a shell script
> to run a shell script ("/sbin/service" is a shell script), the second
> bypasses the first shell script and runs the second one directly.

Okay, I give... I knew that, too. It's just easier to type service ...
than /etc/rc.d/init.d/sname (even with the nice TAB feature of completing
things bash has).

On AIX it's stopsrc -s sname
then startsrc -s sname... very annoying, IMHO.

> Just me being my normal, persnickety self!  :-D

Don't stop. I think I speak for at least myself when I say, it's part of
your charm...

> -    First Law of Work:                                              -
> -    If you can't get it done in the first 24 hours, work nights.    -

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---