CUPS admin for users

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Mon Oct 3 18:46:41 UTC 2005

On Fri, September 30, 2005 2:41 pm, Mark Knecht said:
>> they
>> might

>> > Thanks Karl. I'm down to my one last Redhat machine here. There
>> > probably won't be anymore. I haven't had to restart anything in a long
>> > time as I've not made any config changes in quite awhile now.
>> > Sometimes the brain just goes blank.
>> >

>> So, does that mean the edict has been given to leave Linux, or just
>> Redhat?
>>
>> Karl
>
> Gosh, not Linux. Just Redhat. RPM repositories just don't work for me.
> I end up building so much by hand that I've gone mostly Gentoo. After
> I got the hang of the portage/emerge process it's been the best I've
> run. That's not saying a lot, but it's been far more stable for me
> than Redhat or Fedora ever were.

I'm using FC4 now, and it's very stable (after fixing bad RAM) and I've
come to really like yum (Yellowdog Update Manager) which comes by default.
For example, I had a need to use gnumeric on FC4, which no longer comes
standard, and I did yum install gnumeric and it came down, dependencies
and all, ready to run... However, with that said, I am playing with the
idea of getting a pc up on Ubuntu or Gentoo. I've heard they are pretty
stable.

> Keep in mind that as a recently retired home user I have far more time
> and fewer schedules than you business guys. I update my machines here
> once every two weeks or so. Most updates take only an hour or two. Not
> too bad. The best thing is that pretty much every app in the world
> seems to be in portage and I don't have to deal with dependencies like
> with RPM. apt repositories didn't seem to work much better for me on
> my audio boxes although they were fine for the wife and kid.

I've not tried to do a complete update with yum. I guess I've never liked
the idea of turning over that much control to an outside process. I just
don't trust anyone to manage my machines but me...

> Gosh, no, I don't see myself leaving Linux for a long, long time. I've
> got three Linux boxes here in my studio. My wife runs Gentoo. My son
> has FC2. WE have two more Gentoo boxes running MythTV. We're very much
> a Linux family these days.
>
> I still run one Windows XP machine for some Windows audio apps and
> Quicken. (Don't believe what they tell you about Quicken under Wine,
> Crossover Office or anything else. IT works, but no well enough. Been
> there, done that.

I have a couple XP machines and one W2000 and one 98se... Drat. I'm even
thinking about picking up an Apple Mac Micro.

Karl

--
karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---