CUPS admin for users

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Oct 3 19:44:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 12:46 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> >> they
> >> might

> >> So, does that mean the edict has been given to leave Linux, or just
> >> Redhat?
> >>
> >> Karl
> >
> > Gosh, not Linux. Just Redhat. RPM repositories just don't work for me.
> > I end up building so much by hand that I've gone mostly Gentoo. After
> > I got the hang of the portage/emerge process it's been the best I've
> > run. That's not saying a lot, but it's been far more stable for me
> > than Redhat or Fedora ever were.
>
> I'm using FC4 now, and it's very stable (after fixing bad RAM) and I've
> come to really like yum (Yellowdog Update Manager) which comes by default.
> For example, I had a need to use gnumeric on FC4, which no longer comes
> standard, and I did yum install gnumeric and it came down, dependencies
> and all, ready to run... However, with that said, I am playing with the
> idea of getting a pc up on Ubuntu or Gentoo. I've heard they are pretty
> stable.

The combination of yum and apt is pretty powerful.

> > Keep in mind that as a recently retired home user I have far more time
> > and fewer schedules than you business guys. I update my machines here
> > once every two weeks or so. Most updates take only an hour or two. Not
> > too bad. The best thing is that pretty much every app in the world
> > seems to be in portage and I don't have to deal with dependencies like
> > with RPM. apt repositories didn't seem to work much better for me on
> > my audio boxes although they were fine for the wife and kid.
>
> I've not tried to do a complete update with yum. I guess I've never liked
> the idea of turning over that much control to an outside process. I just
> don't trust anyone to manage my machines but me...

I've done it and it works pretty well.  I don't have the automatic
update turned on...simply because some of my stuff is, well, esoteric
to say the least.  I'm careful about what gets stuffed on and what
doesn't.

> > Gosh, no, I don't see myself leaving Linux for a long, long time. I've
> > got three Linux boxes here in my studio. My wife runs Gentoo. My son
> > has FC2. WE have two more Gentoo boxes running MythTV. We're very much
> > a Linux family these days.
> >
> > I still run one Windows XP machine for some Windows audio apps and
> > Quicken. (Don't believe what they tell you about Quicken under Wine,
> > Crossover Office or anything else. IT works, but no well enough. Been
> > there, done that.
>
> I have a couple XP machines and one W2000 and one 98se... Drat. I'm even
> thinking about picking up an Apple Mac Micro.

I've got one of those.  They're actually called "Mac Minis".  It's
cute.  Slower than molasses in January, but cute.

-      Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers?  No?  GOOD!    -