Installation problems with FC4 on nforce3 mobo

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Oct 3 22:34:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 17:11 -0400, Jay Lofstead wrote:
> I have an ASUS K8N-E deluxe (nforce3 250) mobo, Opteron 3000+ CPU, 1 GB RAM,
> Asus branded GeForce 6200 video card, 1 80 GB PATA drive, and 1 300 GB SATA
> drive.  I have tried every suggestion I can find to get FC4 (or FC3) to
> install on the machine and I have failed.  This is a brand-new machine with
> no OS on the drives yet and I am trying to install from a boot CD.  The
> system keeps failing at the "Cannot open root device" error referenced  at:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=62400

Hmmm.  Interesting.  Do you get through any of the installer stuff
(selecting keyboard, etc.) at all?  Are you certain you burned the CD
correctly?  Mount it on some other machine and verify you see a bunch of
files on it.  If you only see one file, you burned it incorrectly.

> I am one of the "rare" users that the "garbage" fix doesn't work.  I don't
> have the ability to network boot as I don't have an appropriate server to
> boot install from.

That's very, very weird.

> Is there any way to get FC4 installed on this box at this time?  I am
> certainly willing to try an older version and upgrade, but that hasn't
> worked either.  I have tried other distros with similar failure results.

Again, I'm not clear if the installer starts at all.  If it doesn't, and
assuming you have a floppy drive and you burned the CD correctly, try
downloading something like SmartBoot (http://btmgr.webframe.org/).  Boot
that puppy up and see if you can transfer to your boot CD.

-     Is that a buffer overflow or are you just happy to see me?     -