Wireless Connection Help

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Oct 11 17:34:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 22:58 -0600, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 22:08 -0600, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> > > I purchased a Linksys notebook adapter for my Dell Latitude which
> > > is running FC2.  This adaptor is model WPC11 ver. 4.  Doing some
> > > searching on the web it looks like like it should work but all of
> > > the information I can find is old (RH9) or for other flavors of
> > > Linux.
> > >
> > > Has anyone gotten this combination (FC2 & WPC11 v4) to work?  If
> > > so can you help me?
> >
> > Which chipset does it have, Brad?  "lspci" should reveal it.  If it's
> > a TI or Broadcom chipset, you'll need to use ndiswrapper and the
> > Winblows driver from the CD/floppy that came with it.  ndiswrapper is
> > at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net.
> >
> OK it says:
>
> Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8180L
> 802.11b MAC (rev 20)
>
> I found some reference to ndiswrapper running this chipset but
> all the instructions seem to be for systems other than FC2 and I
> haven't had any luck getting it to work.

Just download the tarball, make sure you have the kernel-devel RPM
installed, unpack the tarball and do "make" and "make install".  Follow
the instructions in the INSTALL for loading in the windows drivers and
it'll work.  "alias eth0 ndiswrapper" in your "/etc/modprobe.conf" is
useful, too!

P.S. I use it on my laptop (FC4) all the time.  In fact, I'm using it
now to vncview my desktop at the office to send you this.
-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -