after grub, stripy screen

Grant Allan grant at forum8.co.nz
Mon Oct 24 06:55:39 UTC 2005

>> match
>> >
>> > Good, no, great idea.  Actually it installs at a fairly low common
>> > denominator because initially it doesn't know what it's working with
>> > or even if it can work with it.  When it gets to X configuration, if
>> > it can come up with something workable (as far as it can tell) it
>> > writes that info to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
>> >
>> > /etc/inittab is not the right place by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>> hey, thanks!  do you think i should make an official suggestion
>> somewhere?
>>  is that easy to do?
>>
>> cheers,
>> grant
>
> Umm, I think one of us misunderstood.  What I said was that it is
> already doing The Right Thing _if_ it figures out the video card
> correctly.  In your case it did its best to configure for the card,
> and since it couldn't see your side of the monitor, it went with what
> it saw on its side.  And it was wrong.

I see.  My suggestion then, amounts to "do not do The Right Thing if the
user is installing with a custom display setting".  My thinking is along
these lines: if the user has gone to the trouble of running the installer
with a custom display setting, then there is most like a good reason that
they chose to do that (eg the default display settings were not working).
I think that anaconda doing "The Right Thing" is presumptious in that
case.  But that is just my own opinion.