RE: GRUB Single User Mode

Thanks this helped me as well.  I was trying to do so last night.

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces redhat com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Rick Stevens
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:51 AM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: GRUB Single User Mode

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 00:48 -0400, mylar wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how one goes about getting into single user mode via
> GRUB. Using "LILO" I would specify a  name followed by the word "single"
> and it would jump right in. But that doesn't work on GRUB. Any ideas ?

You have to append the word "single" to the end of the kernel line.

At the grub screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the kernel you want
to boot.  Then press the "E" key.  Use the down arrow to highlight the
"kernel" line, then hit "E" again.  Append " single" to the end of the
line (don't include the quotes) and hit "ENTER".  Now hit "B" and it
should boot to single user mode.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens vitalstream com -
-          su -; find / -name someone -exec touch \{\} \;            -
-                          - The UNIX way of touching someone        -