Fedora Core CD

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Sep 1 16:25:47 UTC 2005

E. Craig Brown wrote:
> I am attempting to install RH Linux on a Dell, Windows XP service pack 2
> laptop. I have downloaded several different versions of the ISO files
> and burned them to disk. The burn does expand the iso file into multiple
> files and directories on the resulting CD. I used the boot ISO from disk
> one to generate a boot CD for my computer. I booted the computer and
> indicated I wanted to install, answered the questions about the language
> and keyboard, then was prompted to locate the Fedora Core CD. No matter
> which of the disks I place in the drive, they all receive the following:
>
> The Fedora Core CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives. Please
> insert the Fedora Core CD and press OK to retry.
>
> As I indicated earlier, I have downloaded several different versions of
> the installer ISOs with exactly the same result. I am unable to continue
> with the installation.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Is there other another download ISO to get? I am
> following the installation guide found on the installation page at RH,
> it indicates that I download the x86 32 bit files (4 total). The
> computer boots into the installation program as suggested by the guide,
> but is unable to recognize any of the other disks as containing the
> Fedora Core.

Fedora Core (FC) is NOT Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).  You can't boot
an FC CD and install RHEL from other CDs, nor can you boot a RHEL CD and
install FC from other CDs.  They are not compatible.

The boot loader for FC expects FC CDs and vice versa.  If you're
installing RHEL, boot the first RHEL CD.  If you're installing Fedora,
boot the first Fedora CD.
-     If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...     -
-              ...oh, wait.  He does.  THAT explains it!             -