NFS - some success

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Mon Sep 5 16:17:08 UTC 2005

Well, with your help I finally got NFS working- mostly - my
problem was a services issue - I looked at both machines and set
them up the same and then it worked.

I can now see the shared drived from my client machine but I
can't write to them (even as root on my client machine).

/etc/exports (Server)
/music 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw)
/photos 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw)

/etc/fstab (client)
192.168.1.55:/music /mnt/music nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0
c1911a1:/photos /mnt/photos nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0

note - in one (music) I gave the IP the other (photos) I gave the
name which is mapped in the hosts file just to make sure they
both worked.

When I try to write to either the /mnt/music or /mnt/photos
directory using vim I get the following error on saving the file:

"test.txt" E212: Can't open file for writing

In both of the original directories I have a test file that I can
open and read.  In order for this to be seemless the way I want
it both of these directories need to be read/write available to
everyone.

Thanks,

Brad Mugleston, KI0OT

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
understand binary and those that don't.