WARNING(virus check bypassed): Re: NFS - some success

gerrynix gerrynix at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 15:35:36 UTC 2005

--- brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > On 9/5/05, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > /etc/fstab (client)
> > > 192.168.1.55:/music /mnt/music nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0
> > > c1911a1:/photos /mnt/photos nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0
> > >

> > Hi Brad,
> >    Cool that you got it working.
> >
> >    One thing I've run into with NFS mounts is that rebooting with one
> > mounted can cause problems and long delays. Rick Stevens pointed me
> > toward an option called '_netdev' in man mount. (I think)  Using this
> > option tells the system that networking must be up before this is
> > mounted and that this must be unmounted before networking goes down.
> > Good option. Here's a few NFS oriented entries from my machine's fstab
> > file for you to peruse:
> >
> > dragonfly:/Musiclib     /mnt/Musiclib           nfs
> > noauto,user,rw,_netdev,proto=udp        0 0
> > dragonfly:/home/mark/MusicLib /home/mark/RemoteMusicLib/ nfs
> > noauto,user,rw,_netdev  0 0
> > myth14:/video           /video                  nfs
> > auto,user,rw,_netdev,tcp,rsize=8192     0 0
> >
> > Note the inconsistencies! 'proto=udp' vs. 'tcp'. Who knows?! ;-) I
> > should probably clean that up.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
> >

> Mark,
>
> Thanks for writing - So far I havent had that problem - I think
> the "hard" command is suppose to keep me from having problems if
> the server is down or something like that.
>
> I'll do some reading and see what you have set up - maybe it will
> help with my read/write problem.
>
> Brad

Your (rw) problem is likely authentication. Read through the man
page for exports (man exports), especially the section titled
"User ID Mapping."  If you have an account on your nfs server,
say . . . login: brad - uid: 500 - gid: 500, then you must have an
equivalent account [incl. uid & gid] on the nfs client.

Assuming the files on the server "belong to" brad [as above], AND
you are logged into the nfs client as brad. . . Then you will
have rw access (default)to the remote files.

For root (rw) access, you can include the no_root_squash option
on your share in the /etc/exports file on the nfs server. Yes,
this can be "risky" from the security point of view. Simple
example of an /etc/exports entry, allowing root privs on a share
to the nfs clients follows.

/music  (rw,no_root_squash)

You can be more exacting with other options . . . in the man page.