NFS - some success

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Sep 6 16:33:36 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> Well, with your help I finally got NFS working- mostly - my
> problem was a services issue - I looked at both machines and set
> them up the same and then it worked.
>
> I can now see the shared drived from my client machine but I
> can't write to them (even as root on my client machine).
>
> /etc/exports (Server)
> /music 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw)
> /photos 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw)

Er, you want to add "no_root_squash" to those to give the root user on
the clients full access.  Otherwise, root on the clients gets mapped to
UID/GID nobody.

> /etc/fstab (client)
> 192.168.1.55:/music /mnt/music nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0
> c1911a1:/photos /mnt/photos nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0
>
> note - in one (music) I gave the IP the other (photos) I gave the
> name which is mapped in the hosts file just to make sure they
> both worked.
>
> When I try to write to either the /mnt/music or /mnt/photos
> directory using vim I get the following error on saving the file:
>
> "test.txt" E212: Can't open file for writing
>

> In both of the original directories I have a test file that I can
> open and read.  In order for this to be seemless the way I want
> it both of these directories need to be read/write available to
> everyone.

You should also check the permissions on the mountpoints BEFORE you
mount the NFS.  NFS will inherit the permissions of the mountpoints, so
those have to be right first.

Also verify you have lockd (nfslock) running.
-    If Windows isn't a virus, then it sure as hell is a carrier!    -