Samba - all messed up

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Thu Sep 15 04:41:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On 9/14/05, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
> > When things were simple (Windows 95) Samba setups were easy then
> > Bill determined that he needed to make my life complicated.
> >
> > Now in my house I have some Windows 98 machines, some windows XP
> > and even an old Win 95 laptop my daughter likes.
> >
> > I can print to my linus boxes and their printers but I can't seem
> > to get everyone happy about sharing files from the Linux boxes
> > where everything is saved.
> >
> > So how do I give access to Win95 through XP to my FC2 box using
> > Samba?  I've got password encription on (I think, I've messed
> > withit so much I'm not sure anymore)  I did that cause I couldn't
> > see how to shut it off in the XP box.
> >
> > Does anyone have a quick how to set this up so everyone can play?
> >
> > BTW the NFS stuff is working great.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Brad Mugleston, KI0OT
>
> Brad,
>    I'll only suggest that it's pretty difficult. Consider making the
> Windows side of the house consistent in terms of Windows so that your
> work in this area is significantly simplified.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark

Mark,

Thanks - I'd like to make the windows side consistent and load
Linux on them all BUT thats not possible at this time.  The XP
machines are relatively new but the older machines would not
handle XP or don't want to risk loosing what they have on them.

I'll try to move forward as best as possible.

Brad