files/partitions question

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Wed Sep 28 13:06:36 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:
  correct?

>    As a bonus question, if I know the name of a file and want to know
> what drive it's on, how can I do that at the command line? I'd most
> like a command that reports back file so-and-so resides on /dev/hda11
> if possible.

Try:

df -k filename

This should show you the disk space used on the partition on which
"filename" resides. As an bonus, it tells you which partition that is. If
it's a symlink it tells you the filesystem on which the actual file resides
(i.e. the file to which the link points) rather than where the link is.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555