CUPS admin for users

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Thu Sep 29 12:07:47 UTC 2005

[mailto:redhat-install-list-
> bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Mark Knecht
> Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 5:21 AM
> To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
> Subject: CUPS admin for users
>
> Hi,
>    We have an FC2 machine that has our printer attached. For whatever
> reason the printer is sometimes turned off or out of paper when jobs
> are sent to it. The jobs don't print and the printer queue backs up.
> The problem is that to start the printer again seems to take root
> access.
>
>    Is there are way to give specific users the ability to restart the
> printer? Best case I'd like them to run the web CUPS GUI and just go
> to the admin page, click on start and be allowed to get the printer
> going again.
>
>    I'm thinking maybe there's a group that could be created to do
> this? I could add these users to that group and then they could work
> when I'm not here?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

You can define the access control configuration in the cupsd.conf file
inside the 'Location' sections. Access rights can be defined for the
administrative interface as a whole (Location /), administrative
functions (Location /admin), printer configuration (Location /printers),
etc.
 Put the users who need the ability to start the printer into some
group, and define the access rights for the Locations which they should
be able to access:
Set  the 'AuthClass' to  'Group';
Set  the 'AuthGroupName' to the name of the group containing the users
with the rights to restart the printer.

This will give members of the specified group the ability to use
web-based CUPS administrative interface (or specific Locations of that
interface).
You should also check that other configuration options (such as 'Allow
from'/'Deny from') in the CUPS configuration file does not prevent users
from accessing administrative interface from their computers.

Alexey Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com