questions related with partiton?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Sep 29 17:57:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 21:46 +0530, Bharadwaj wrote:
> 1) which linux command will tell, all available devices? like hda , hdb

If you're running the GUI, then use the hardware browser.  If you want
to us the command line, examine the various files and directories under
/proc/ide and /proc/scsi.

> 2) which linux command will tell,all available partions? ;like  hda5, hda6

"fdisk -l /dev/hdX" where "X" is "a", "b", etc.

> 3) which linux command give drive informations?  like  IDE ,

Again, look at /proc/ide and /proc/scsi

> 4) which linux command give me, type of file system acorss all drives?

If they're mounted, use "mount".  For example:

[root at nprophead weblogd]# mount
/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /images type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda7 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /work type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
automount(pid2072) on /misc type autofs
(rw,fd=4,pgrp=2072,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
automount(pid2094) on /net type autofs
(rw,fd=4,pgrp=2094,minproto=2,maxproto=4)/dev/sdb1 on /media/usbdisk
type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,_netdev,user=rick)

Note the stuff after the word "type" in all of the above lines.  That's
the filesystem type (btw, that's from a Fedora Core 4 system).
-  The problem with being poor is that it takes up all of your time  -