questions related with partiton?

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Fri Sep 30 11:42:43 UTC 2005

All available devices could be found in the system information presented
in /proc pseudo filesystem. The list of devices in /dev is a list of
potentially available devices (i.e. devices for which the drivers
exists) not a devices which actually present in the computer system.

When you found which devices you have, you can list the partitions using
fdisk -l <device_name> This command will also show the information about
the types of filesystem(s) on the device partition(s). Note that this
information is from the boot block, not from the filesystem(s) itself
and, therefore, may be incorrect. The best way to determine file system
type is to mount it with different file system types in '-t' option of
the 'mount' command.
Information on the drive hardware could be seen with the use of 'hdparm'
command (options '-I' and '-i'). You will need to give a drive name
(e.g. /dev/had) as a parameter to this command.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com