CUPS admin for users

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 20:41:35 UTC 2005

On 9/30/05, karlp at ourldsfamily.com <karlp at ourldsfamily.com> wrote:
> >> files need time to 'breath' between stops and starts else sometimes they
> >> don't start up right. I'm probably just paranoid however, so that might
> >> not be necessary.
> >>
> >> Karl
> >
> > Thanks Karl. I'm down to my one last Redhat machine here. There
> > probably won't be anymore. I haven't had to restart anything in a long
> > time as I've not made any config changes in quite awhile now.
> > Sometimes the brain just goes blank.
> >

> So, does that mean the edict has been given to leave Linux, or just Redhat?
>
> Karl

Gosh, not Linux. Just Redhat. RPM repositories just don't work for me.
I end up building so much by hand that I've gone mostly Gentoo. After
I got the hang of the portage/emerge process it's been the best I've
run. That's not saying a lot, but it's been far more stable for me
than Redhat or Fedora ever were.

Keep in mind that as a recently retired home user I have far more time
and fewer schedules than you business guys. I update my machines here
once every two weeks or so. Most updates take only an hour or two. Not
too bad. The best thing is that pretty much every app in the world
seems to be in portage and I don't have to deal with dependencies like
with RPM. apt repositories didn't seem to work much better for me on
my audio boxes although they were fine for the wife and kid.

Gosh, no, I don't see myself leaving Linux for a long, long time. I've
got three Linux boxes here in my studio. My wife runs Gentoo. My son
has FC2. WE have two more Gentoo boxes running MythTV. We're very much
a Linux family these days.

I still run one Windows XP machine for some Windows audio apps and
Quicken. (Don't believe what they tell you about Quicken under Wine,
Crossover Office or anything else. IT works, but no well enough. Been
there, done that.

Cheers,
Mark