Permitting normal user to create OS accounts

Tech Guy tek_guy at rediffmail.com
Thu Apr 6 18:32:08 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have a requirement where the clients should be able to create their own accounts (OS accounts) but with a limitation on GROUPID, HOME DIR, SHELL, etc means they cannot choose any of them. All of them will be predefined. They should only provide the UserID.

I was thinking of a script which basically calls “useradd” predefining GROUP, Home dir etc and then making it available using SUDO.

Is there any better way to do this or is there any tool that I can use that allows normal users to create accounts with ofcourse no security risks.

I appreciate you suggestions

Thanks