kermit configuration file

Bob Kinney bc98kinney at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 8 16:16:49 UTC 2006

--- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:

> here
> > > can

> my
> > > home

> > > CHARACTER-SETS

> > > First, swap the "SET CARRIER-WATCH OFF" and the "SET LINE /dev/ttyS0"
> > > lines.  You have to turn off carrier watch before swapping to a line
> > > without carrier.
> > >

> > Thanks for the advice Rick.  I tried it, without success.  This seems to
> > be something that broke between RH9 and FC3 distros.  I had it working on
> > RH9, but I did FC3 as a fresh install.

Hmmm...here's a clue:  When invoking kermit as a non-root user, I get this:

[bob at micron ~]$ kermit
/var/lock
C-Kermit 8.0.209, 17 Mar 2003, for Red Hat Linux 8.0
 Copyright (C) 1985, 2003,
  Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
Type ? or HELP for help.
(/home/bob/) C-Kermit>set line /dev/ttyS0
/var/lock
Sorry, write access to UUCP lockfile directory denied.

What's /var/lock look like?

[bob at micron ~]$ ll -d /var/lock
drwxrwxr-x  10 root lock 4096 Apr  8 11:01 /var/lock
[bob at micron ~]$ ll /var/lock
total 64
drwx------  2 root root    4096 Aug  9  2004 iptraf
drwx------  2 root root    4096 Sep 27  2005 lvm
drwxrwsr-x  2 root mailman 4096 Mar 21  2005 mailman
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 Apr  8 11:05 mrtg
drwxr-xr-x  2 rpm  rpm     4096 Feb 20 03:22 rpm
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 Apr  7 20:22 subsys
drwxr-xr-x  2 uucp uucp    4096 Oct 14  2004 uucp
drwxrwxrwt  2 root root    4096 Feb 13  2005 xemacs
[bob at micron ~]$

What would be the security-conscious way to allow non-root users to access
the serial port?  Should I add myself to the "lock" group, or give universal
write access to /var/lock?  A better plan?

--bc