FC5 Step Backwards: WAS: Mostly off topic, Evolution question

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Thu Apr 27 01:11:44 UTC 2006

On Wed, April 26, 2006 3:01 pm, Rick Stevens said:
> On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 14:18 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>
>> > What specific problems are you having with FC5?  I find it hard to
>> > believe you consider it a "step backward".  Beyond some upgrade issues
>> > with the installer, FC5 is pretty good.  There are a lot of inherent
>> > differences "under the hood" between it and FC4, so perhaps you're still
>> > trying to get used to those, but I'd hardly call it a step back.
>>
>> I'm using it now and have found the enhancements are nice, like a gui
>> updater/software installer, etc. One major drawback may be easier to
>> solve,
>> but it's a potential show-stopper: Gnome apps hang. I click on cancel, or
>> OK
>> and sometimes it that window just stops responding. Along with it, the
>> menu
>> bar at the top quits reacting. Sometimes it happens when I click on
>> Applications, or System, etc. on the menu bar and it stops working.
>> Gnome-terminal, if open, keeps working, but if I bring up a new window, it
>> stays black and never shows a command prompt.
>
> Hmmmm...interesting.  I'm not experiencing any of that.  I really
> suspect a video driver issue here.  Have you tried refreshing X?  Try
> "CTRL-ALT-F1" to get to a non-GUI console, then "ALT-F7" to go back to
> GUI.  If that doesn't help, try restarting X.  You know, the old
> "CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE" then logging in again.

That's how I have to get it back. I just wish it wasn't necessary. If I
wanted that type of aggravation, I'd install Bill.

>> The other show-stopper is Xorg itself. There's no option to probe a
>> monitor
>> or video card with FC5, so I have to guess settings based on inadequate
>> manufacturer's docs.
>
> Have you tried running "ddcprobe" or "X -probeonly"?  For example,
> "ddcprobe" results in this on one of my machines:
>
> [root at prophead ~]# ddcprobe
>
> Videocard DDC probe results
> Controller
> Memory (MB):  7
>
> Monitor DDC probe results
> ID: PNR5780
> Name: Planar PL170
> Horizontal Sync (kHZ): 24-80
> Vertical Sync (HZ)  : 49-75
> Width (mm): 340
> Height(mm): 270
>
> It won't work on all monitors, but it does on a lot.

I have now. I'll have to switch monitors to get the settings on the other one.

>>  It also doesn't do Dual Head (another currently open
>> thread) which I've struggled with...
>
> Well, we don't know that yet.  Xorg says it does, and I believe them.
> The Fedora list archives show others have it working as well.

I've used Dual Head on FC4 very nicely. It's great. FC5, using the same
xorg.conf file doesn't work. One monitor, the second one (Monitor1), has
garbage on the screen and isn't usable. The problem is always Monitor1
regardless of which monitor I use.

>> There's my 2 main complaints about FC5. Another minor one is that VMWare
>> Workstation won't compile. I've switched to VMWare Server Beta, and it
>> works, but I have to go through vmware-config.pl several times before it
>> 'takes'. . .
>
> Hmmm.  Does it work on FC4 under the same kernel?  FC4 and FC5's current
> kernels are the same, 2.6.16-1.2096_FC[4|5]

See above. FC4 worked like a charm.

>> The last issue I can think of (I'm really on a roll, aren't I?) is USB
>> usage. It works fine for my scanner; better than FC4 did actually, BUT
>> Palm
>> still doesn't work at all. I've not tried KDE, which I actually got to
>> work
>> ONCE with FC4... Enough yet? Stop...
>
> Palm and Linux have always been problematical.  That being said, I've
> gotten my old Handspring Prism, Tapwave Z2 and Tungsten E2 to work just
> fine via both USB and bluetooth on both FC4 and FC5.  It does take a bit
> of fiddling, but it works.

I'll have to fiddle with the USB owner issues again and see if FC5 works
better than RH8.0 which is the last time I got serious. Interesting that
Ubuntu works out of the box with no twiddling.

Karl