FC3 printers and Cups

mylar micros50 at computer.net
Thu Apr 27 01:45:30 UTC 2006

I recently installed a HP USB printer on a FC3 box. it works fine. I
originally tried to configure it using the system-config-printers gui
and had problems. So I configured it via the cups browser interface and
all is well. Additionally I wanted to share the printer across a network
so I hand edited the cupsd.conf file by hand adding the "BrowseAddress",
"Listen" address, and I removed a few printers that were no longer in
existence. Everything works fine except when the machine reboots. Some
application takes the liberty of auto-editing and changing the
cupsd.conf file back to what it was before I edited it. This causes my
printer shares to dissapear from the network.

Googling around the net someone told me that the problem is
"system-config-printer" and that I should remove "system-config-printer"
if I want to maintain a hand edited version of "cupsd.conf". But, when I
try to remove the rpm I get a dependency issue stating that
"system-config-printer" is needed by "hal-cups-utils". Not being sure
what "hal-cups-utils" is or does I refrained from removing
system-config-printer for now. Googling around on the web all I could
find ways that hal-cups-utils is a "hallified version of cups-utils"...
whatever that means.

So, can anyone help me out ?? What would "is system-config-printer"  the
cause of my problem ?? What is "hal-cups-utils" ?? Do I need it ?? Help
!! I'm getting tired of re-editing "cupsd.conf" every single day ...

Thanks in advance...

mylar