USB Palm, Was: Re: FC5 Step Backwards: WAS: Mostly off topic, Evolution question

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Thu Apr 27 21:07:44 UTC 2006

On Thu, April 27, 2006 1:05 pm, Rick Stevens said:
> On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 12:16 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>> the
>> I've
>> just

>> works
>> that

>> syncs
>> RH8/FC3/FC4,
>> >
>> > I changed the permissions on /dev/ttyUSB in the hotplug stuff instead of
>> > adding my username to the uucp group.  End result is the same.
>>
>> I did that first and had no luck.
>
> Really?  Gee, I just modified:
>
> 	KERNEL=="ttyUSB*",              GROUP="uucp", MODE="0660"

> 	KERNEL=="ttyUSB*",              GROUP="uucp", MODE="0666"
>
> in "/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules".  Yes, it removes a tiny bit of
> security, but it works for a lot of stuff without having to whonk
> /etc/group or anything.  Besides, I'm a lazy cuss! :-D

No more lazy than me. I've been in Unix for years and /etc/group is where
I'm more comfortable. I didn't do it the way you said. I did it from a HOWTO
on the 'net and they didn't have me in 50-udev.rules. I lost it somewhere. I
try not to keep things around that don't work. Nothing as frustrating as
finding an old piece of paper with an email or web page on it telling me how
to do something wrong.

KLP

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---