Gnome FC5 Error

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sat Apr 29 01:09:44 UTC 2006

I mentioned in a previous email some issues with running gnome-session
as my default X-win manager for FC5. The major problem it seems is when
I run gnome-terminal. I have tried xfce, which is quite nice but lacking
of some features I prefer. So, I'm back to KDE, which isn't a bad
alternative to Gnome.

I use Lineakd for mapping my keyboard and I have a key assigned to
"gnome-terminal --geometry 80x60". Even in KDE when I use it, g-term
comes up but it remains black. So I ran it in konsole and here's the
error message:

(gnome-terminal:7589): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_get_colormap: assertion
`GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

I'm wondering if this is why gnome-panel dies, too, after gnome-terminal
fails to come up. I've CTRL-ALT F1 and logged in as root and killed
gnome-panel with no success. It starts back up, as it should, but
doesn't get displayed in X.

This is a show-stopper for me. I can't use FC5 without gnome-terminal
and other gnome apps. I have specific programming needs at work which
gnome-terminal meets flawlessly, when working. konsole is a poor
substitute, but can be used. xterm is preferrable but I've not learned
how to control CTRL-H vs DEL, etc.

I hope this solveable Fedora folks listening? I'm on too many lists and
don't need another one, so don't plan to cross-post this to a fedora list.

Karl