SendMail Help

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Wed Aug 16 02:42:54 UTC 2006

> want to designate a "mail hub" which receives mail from all of your
> internal machines and sends it out on behalf of them.
>
> For security reasons, I recommend a mail hub (only it is exposed to the
> internet, centralizes virus and spam filtering, etc.).  So, on all
> of the machines EXCEPT the mail hub, make sure you have:
>
> 	define(`SMART_HOST', `name-of-mail-hub-machine')dnl
>
> in the sendmail.mc file.  You also should decide if you want the hub
> to receive mail on behalf of all your machines.  If so, also define
> the MASQUERADE_AS macro:
>
> 	define(`MASQUERADE_AS', `host.domain.tld')dnl
>
> Now, as to firewalls, only the mail hub needs to talk to the internet
> over port 25.  The rest of the machines in your network will use port
> 25 to talk to the mail hub.  So, the firewall rules on the router should
> permit the mail hub port 25 access to the internet and should block all
> others.  Do NOT block port 25 on any of the internal machines (either
> through iptables or Windows firewalls).

OK, sounds good to me BUT I need some translations.

Lets make it simple - two machines named LHOST and LCLIENT.
LHOST is my mail server and LCLIENT is the machine I'm sitting
at.

First, what file holds these names and on what physical machine
(both for XP and Linux)

Second I'm taking it that "name-of-mail-hub-machine" would be
LHOST

for the masquerade command - I may be confused (like normal) but
right now my LHOST machine is receiving all of my mail -if your
talking about from the Internet.  BUT if your talking about
receiving it from the other machines then I need this command but
what does "host.domaine.tld" translate into?

I'm probably in over my head but I'm use to that.

Thanks,

Brad