Epson CX-3810

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Aug 21 19:10:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 23:44 -0600, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> I'm running RH9 and just hooked my Epson CX-3810 all in one
> printer up to a Netgear USB print server - 192.168.1.60
>
> Can't seem to be able to print to the printer nor can I use the
> scanner.  I've read some articles of others that have done this
> but not with my setup.
>
> I have no problem browsing to the print server setup page so I
> can access the printer OK.  It appears that it's using SMB,
> probably a newer version of Linux than I'm running 8^)

The Netgear website shows their various servers as running "PTP"
and Windows LPD protocols.  I have no idea what the hell they think
"PTP" is and Windows LPD isn't standard LPD, either.  Very weird.

> Has anyone had any luck using a this print server with Redhat?
> How about this printer/scanner?  I could use some help.

Well, it sure sounds like Samba is the way to go.  Fire up your
Samba client and see what devices are offered by the server:

	smbclient -L -I 192.168.1.60

That should tell you what the server thinks the device is called.
According to linuxprinting.org, you want the "gutenprint" driver
(formerly known as Gimp-Print), and the native CUPS driver should
work.
-   To err is human.  To forgive, a large sum of money is needed.    -