PTPP/VPN Server?

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Mon Aug 21 23:50:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, August 21, 2006 12:54 pm, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 22:00 -0600, karlp wrote:
>> Recommendations anyone for a VPN server on FC4?
>
> OpenVPN works pretty well, but it's a TLS-based system.  If you want
> IPsec-based stuff, then vpnc is a good option (it's in the Extras
> repository of FC4 and FC5, just enable the Extras repository and
> "yum install vpnc").

I use vpnc to connect to Cisco PIX (garbage, as far as I'm concerned)
Firewalls when I absolutely have to. I looked at OpenVPN and its docs say it
has to be both the client and server; no go.

After a bit of searching I found a simple HOWTO on fedoraforum.org and just
had to do yum install pptpd and follow the instructions for the config files.
Worked first time out of the box. I haven't tried it from a WIN32 client yet.
If it doesn't work from that, I'm not going to be too sad.

I now get to keep my FC5 workstation up all the time, which I pretty much did
anyway, because there's too much tweaking required from FC4, which my server
has. FC5 versions come with the correct stuff. Also, FC5 has mppe pre-enabled,
so I ignored those parts of the instructions, which meant all I had to do was
yum install pptpd and I was up.

Isn't FC5 nice?  Of course it is.

Karl