installing kernel.2.6.9-42.ELsmp on RHEL 4 64Bit

Sujitkumar Shirkar sujitkumar_shirkar at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 27 14:53:57 UTC 2006

Hello All

we are installing Mellox Infiniband (IB) card in our new Linux server
running with RHEL4 64 bit OS with kernel 2.6.9-33ELsmp

the new IB card requries new kernel 2.6.9-42.ELsmp,  any link from where i
can download it

Well i managed to download kernel-2.6.9-42.EL.src.rpm from web, i used
following commands to update my kernel but it not showing me at boot prompt

can you guys advise me on how to update kernel to install IB card in it

i did following commands

# rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.9-42.EL.src.rpm

# rpmbuild -bp --target $(uname -m) kernel-2.6.spec

# cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9/

# make menuconfig

# enabled IB support and saved the config

# make

# reboot

after reboot i was not able to see updated kernel in my boot prompt any
help? where i am making mistake?

Please send me step by step kernel update procedure in this case.

Waiting for your reply

Sujitkumar Shirkar
Muumbai - India