Somewhat OT email addresses

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Thu Feb 16 12:15:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 07:55:52PM -0800, Bret Stern wrote:
Bret, please fix your email client
And please try not to top post

To fix outlook express:

To fix Outlook:
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

> you should use a domain name with email. it may work internally,
> or unreliably on the outside. mail delivery systems will generally
> not want to work with ip numbers in email addresses.

The first thing done when actually sending an email is translate the
domain name to an IP address.  Since 1981 I've always been able to send
emails via an IP address.  Now I know I haven't encountered every MTA in
existence but I view that experience as somewhat indicative.

Try this experiment:
Get a gmail account,
compose and send an email to yourself@[your IP address]
see if you get it.