Somewhat OT email addresses

Martin, Jonathan (Contractor) JMARTI05 at intersil.com
Thu Feb 16 13:46:17 UTC 2006

I'd say your chances of this working are slim to none.  Most modern MTAs
require a domain name, because they can or do accept email for multiple
domains.  If for example you email user at 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.1 accepts
email for company.com and department.company.com its not going to know
where to route that email to.  In the "old days" before virtual hosting
this would more commonly work, but since the concept of NATs came about
and people found out its easier (and cheaper) to secure one external IP
than 12, this concept has been all but quashed.

*IF* by some miracle the mail server can look itself up (i.e. reverse
lookup the ip you are emailing to) and that IP's reverse DNS points to
the mail domain it might work.  Honestly though, someone needs to go to
godaddy.com, spend $5 and renew their domain.

-Jonathan