/dev/ttyUSB0 and PPP

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Feb 21 22:45:23 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 18:15 -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up a ppp connection through my cellphone. I'm using a
> USB to EIA232 adapter on FC4_64. I can talk to the cellphone (send AT
> commands, dial, etc.) from GtkTerm using /dev/ttyUSB0 when logged in as
> root. As another user, I get permission denied.
> >
> > Desktop/SystemSettings/Network lets me define a modem device on ports
> such
> > as  dev/ttyS0, etc., dev/modem, dev/tty|1, dev/input/ttyACM0, dev/ttyM0,
> etc. But, no /dev/ttyUSB0.
> >
> > So... what do I do to set up a ppp connection on my cellphone modem on
> /dev/ttyUSB0?
> >

> Still working on this... A google search came up with the suggestion that
> I add
>
> ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem
>
> to my /etc/rc.local . I've done that and am still having trouble getting
> ppp to dial out. I'm using the network configure menu
> desktop/SystemSettings/network. At one point, I could see it dial just the
> 1 dialing prefix, but not the rest of the number. Currently, it doesn't
> try to dial at all. Instead, I get "cannot connect to network device" when
> I try to activate it.
>
> As root, I can talk to the cellphone using gtkterm. As a non-root user, I
> get permission denied. Here's a little more info:
>

> [root at hhlaptop ~]# ls -l /dev/modem
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 12 Feb 19 18:00 /dev/modem -> /dev/ttyUSB0
> [root at hhlaptop ~]# ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
> crw-rw----  1 root uucp 188, 0 Feb 19 18:04 /dev/ttyUSB0
> [root at hhlaptop ~]#
>

> So... any ideas?

Well, the first thing is to change the permissions on /dev/ttyUSB0.
You need to edit the /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules and change the

    KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0660", OPTIONS="last_rule"

line to read "MODE=0666" to permit world read/write operations, then
unplug the dongle and plug it back in.

-            The gene pool could use a little chlorine.              -