Gateway problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Feb 21 23:02:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 02:06 -0600, inode0 wrote:
> On 2/13/06, Waldher, Travis R <Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com> wrote:
> > I prefer to see the system default gateway (of which, there can only be one) in
> > /etc/sysconfig/network.  Add a line:
> >
> > GATEWAY=x.x.x.x
> >
> > It drives me nuts when people put the gateways on specific interfaces.
> >
> > Of course, this is all personal preference.
>
> I guess. There can be multiple default gateways although only one
> active at a time. My preference is that each interface have an
> appropriate gateway set for it and which is used as the default
> network gateway is controlled by setting GATEWAYDEV in
> /etc/sysconfig/network rather than by setting the default gateway
> directly there.

No, there is only ONE default gateway.  The rest are network- or device-
specific gateways.  GATEWAYDEV simply forces the default gateway to use
a specific device, but the source address of the packets so routed will
still have the original address.

-           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -