Fedora Core 4 and Ubuntu

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Feb 24 02:57:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, February 23, 2006 11:12 am, Rick Stevens said:
> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 22:51 -0700, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>> I've recently begun installing Kubuntu (ubuntu.com) at work on a few
>> workstations. Interesting to find that a USB Palm Pilot syncs right out of
>> the box. On Fedora Core 4, I've never had good success syncing. It works
>> very sporadically at best. Why?
>
> How are you syncing?  USB?  Bluetooth?  I've never had a problem.

USB only. That's the only way a Tungsten T5 comes. Overall, Ubuntu handles
USB devices better. The USB port doesn't come and go with the connect. It's
a MAKEDEV type device all the time. I get permission problems and had to
write a script that sets the owner every few seconds. That didn't work more
than once in about 15-25 tries. I changed to a hardware update so when a USB
device is attached, the permissions are changed to my user and that doesn't
work more than once every 5-10 times. I ran the script with that and didn't
see any improvement.

This has been a while and I gave up, syncing to Win2000 (VMWare guest) only.
I'm actually thinking of installing Ubuntu on VMWare and seeing how that
works.

Karl

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---