Error installing kernel with up2date

Hamilton, David dhamilton at rose.edu
Sun Feb 26 03:00:46 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com on behalf of Rick Stevens
Sent: Thu 2/23/2006 7:40 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: Error installing kernel with up2date

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 18:48 -0600, Hamilton, David wrote:
> Hello, I have RHEL 4 installed and I keep getting an error while trying to install the kernel that up2date recommends I install. Does anyone know how I can correct this?  Here is the error message:
>
> There was a package dependency problem.  The message was:
>
> Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
> lksctp-tools-1.0.2-6.4E.1                conflicts with kernel >= 2.6.10
>

> The following packages were added to your selection to satisfy dependencies:
> Package                                Required by
>
> Please modify your package selections and try again.

You need to update your lksctp-tools RPM first, then update the kernel:

	up2date lksctp-tools
	up2date kernel-whatever

up2date does occasionally have issues with this type of circular
dependency.  You might also bugzilla that with the fine folk at Red Hat
to warn them of it.

-         C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.         -
I tried that and I seem to be stuck.

[root at Davids-RHEL ~]# up2date lksctp-tools

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rh-i386-desktop-4...

Fetching rpm headers...

Name                                    Version        Rel

The following packages you requested are already updated:
lksctp-tools

Typing up2date -kernel-2.6.9 starts the graphical version of up2date and I get the error about lksctp-tools. if I type up2date -u I get the following:
[root at Davids-RHEL ~]# up2date -u

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rh-i386-desktop-4...

Fetching rpm headers...

Name                                    Version        Rel
kernel                                  2.6.9          22.0.2.EL         i686

Testing package set / solving RPM inter-dependencies...
There was a package dependency problem. The message was:

Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
lksctp-tools-1.0.2-6.4E.1                conflicts with kernel >= 2.6.10

The following packages were added to your selection to satisfy dependencies:
Package                                Required by
Does anyone know what the problem might be?