Re: Linux AS 3 swap question!!

Please don't top post.

mac a écrit :

Appreciate your response ..Thanks ..i juts have a couple of queries

1)i have a swap partion of 16 GB ...how can i go about decreasing the size of this partition ie the size of swap

With [sc]fdisk or any other partition tool.

2)Can both the swap file and partition coexist ??

Yes

3)WHich is a better approcah ..partition or file and which exists after every reboot

Well, a swap partition on a file system means that if this file system is broken, swap file will be too. You understand also that the swap file is usable only if the file system is mounted.

For me, swap file is to be used if you need to add swap on a system where you can't add swap partition

Really appreciate your help here

Thanks

On 2/26/06, * Rick Stevens* <rstevens vitalstream com <mailto:rstevens vitalstream com>> wrote:

    On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 23:09 +0530, mac wrote:
    > Hi,
    > We have a Linux EL AS 3 running on a poweredge server with 8 GB
    > ram ...we would like to know how to change the swap space on a linux
    > AS 3 system dynamically
    >
    >  and would AS3 support a swap size of 16 GB
    >
    > any pointers appreciated

    You can have up to 16 swap sections but each is limited to 2GB each,
    giving a total of 32GB of swap.  You can't change the swap size
    dynamically, since the swap is on a fixed-size partition or file.  You
    can enable and disable various swap files or partitions using the
    swapon(8) or swapoff(8) commands.

    Swap has to be either a separate partition OR a zero-filled
    file.  You
    probably know how to make a swap partition.  To create a swap _file_:

    1. Find a partition that has enough free space for the swap you want.

    2. As root, do:

            # dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/swap/file count=size

    For example, to create a 2GB swap file called "/var/swapfile":

            # dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/swapfile count=2G

    3. Convert the file to a swap file:

            # mkswap /var/swapfile

    3. Activate via:

            # swapon /var/swapfile

    4. Edit your /etc/fstab file and add a line for this swap file so
    it'll
    activate on the next boot:

            /var/swapfile   swap          swap    defaults        0 0

    Voila!

--
Daniel