Updating RAID driver when upgrading from kernel 2.6.9-5 to 2.6.9-11 on rh4 ES

Maxim Vexler hq4ever at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 19:51:09 UTC 2006

On 1/25/06, Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 19:56 +0200, Maxim Vexler wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I used the driver supplied by the vendor [1] to add aditional drivers
> > for the setup of redhat on  intel SE7230nh1 server board.
> >
> > Now, we need to update to the updated kernel. Luckly the vendor does
> > provide a driver to the RH4-ES-U1 kerenl but only in a img file
> > format. i.e. sutible only for fresh install.
> >
> > I would like to use the driver provided by this image, which I
> > downloaded and mounted by:
> > <<<
> > mount -o loop /tmp/dud-rh40-u1-x86_64-megaide-v5.08u-generic-1.img /media/fd0/
> > >>>
> > on my working system.
> >
> > Using rhn I have downloaded the new rpm kernel package and it's
> > installed in the grub boot menu but when trying to boot the kernel I
> > get kernel panic stating that no drives were found.

Thank you for helping.

> You need to get into that /media/fd0 directory and find the driver
> itself.  It'll have ".ko" after the name, e.g. "driver.ko".  That will
> have to be put into the
>
>         /lib/modules/(updated-kernel-version)/kernel/drivers/scsi
>
> directory, and you will then need to rebuild the initrd image for the
> new kernel.  I can give you the commands, but I'll need a few things
> from you:
>
>         1. I need you to mount that image again and post the output of
>         "find /media/fd0 -print" (run as the root user)

Sure, I'm doing this on my debian testing server but as soon as get it
all working I will redo it on the RH box.
<<<
debsrv:~# mount -o loop
/home/hq4ever/dud-rh40-u1-x86_64-megaide-v5.08u-generic-1.img
/media/floppy0
debsrv:~# find /media/floppy
floppy/  floppy0/
debsrv:~# find /media/floppy0 -print
/media/floppy0
/media/floppy0/modinfo
/media/floppy0/modules.cgz
/media/floppy0/modules.dep
/media/floppy0/pcitable
/media/floppy0/rhdd
debsrv:~# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

>         2. I need the kernel version number of the new kernel you
>         installed.  Or post the content of the /boot/grub/grub.conf
>         file.

The kernel that I have installed the system with was  kernel-smp-2.6.9-5.EL
The kernel that later on got downloaded by the rhn network is
kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.0.2.EL

The first one boots, sadly the second one doesn't.

> -     Have you noticed that "human readable" configuration file      -
> -          directives are beginning to resemble COBOL code?          -

The only concrete solution I've managed to come up with so far was to
install a RH4.ES.U1 on a different machine and then copy all the /boot
& /lib/modules to the working machine.

Thank you very much for assisting me with this issue.

--
Cheers,
Maxim Vexler (hq4ever).

Do u GNU ?